- In May 1996, Western Financial Group (formerly Hi-Alta Capital Inc.) is established as a junior capital pool corporation listed on the Alberta Stock Exchange.
- In September 1996, Hi-Alta Capital goes public with its initial acquisition, the purchase of Hi-Alta Agencies in High River, Alberta.
- In 2001, Western Financial Group's insurance division, WFG Agency Network Inc. formerly Western Insurance Network, becomes the largest insurance broker network in western Canada.
- In 2001, The Western Communities Foundation was founded by Western Financial Group as a non-profit organization created to support the communities in which it operates.
- In 2001, a sixth travel office in Olds, Alberta is added to Hi-Alta Travel Ltd., which under the Thomas Cook/Marlin Travel banner has franchises in High River, Okotoks, Strathmore, Brooks and Drumheller, Alberta.
- In August 2002, Western Financial Group makes an initial strategic investment in Jennings Capital Inc. and in 2003, acquire additional common shares and now holds a 29.7% interest in Jennings Capital.
- In January 2003, Bank West, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Western Financial Group Inc., receives an Order to Commence and Carry on Business from the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (Canada). It takes in over $1 million in deposits in its first day of business.
- In 2003, Scott Tannas awarded Ernst & Young's 2003 Prairies Entrepreneur of the Year for Professional/Financial Services.
- In February 2005, Western Financial Group acquires Federated Life Insurance Company of Canada and the name is changed to Western Life Assurance Company.
- Western Financial Group moves into head office on April 24, 2006.
- In January 2008, Bank West celebrates their 5th year anniversary in business.
- On July 2, 2009, the many local names of offices in the Network were brought under one common brand - Western Financial Group. One name, one team, one brand.
- On April 15, 2011 Western Financial Group was acquired by Quebec based Desjardins Group, in a $440 million transaction. In the 15 years between the IPO in 1996, and Western’s return to a privately owned company in 2011, the company’s stock price rose 1038%. Scott and his management team remain committed to growing Western and creating value for their new owner for many years to come.
- On March 26, 2013, Western Financial Group’s President and CEO Scott Tannas was appointed to the Canadian Senate by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- On July 2, 2013, Western Financial Group and Coast Capital Savings Credit Union announced the closing of the sale of Coast Capital Insurance Services Ltd. that saw ownership of Coast Capital’s property, commercial and casualty insurance subsidiary transferred to Western.
- On August 29, 2013, Western Financial Group’s Board of Directors announced the appointment of Jeff Burke as president effective September 1. Burke assumed CEO responsibilities on January 1, 2014. Scott Tannas maintained his leadership position at Western by assuming the new role of Vice Chairman and Founder on January 1, 2014 while concurrently serving as a Canadian Senator. This announcement marked the first leadership change in Western’s 17-year history.
- On January 6, 2014, Western Financial Group announced that it had acquired full ownership of Falkins Insurance Group Limited, the largest general insurance brokerage in the Kootenays.